In general you need to do the following:
- Create a Common Application account. Click here to begin.
- Write your college essays and supplementals. Common Ap essay prompts can be found here_.
- CSUs and UCs have their own system so if
you are applying for those schools you will need to register with
them. UCs click here and for CUSs click here
- Create a resume
Letters of Recommendation
To Do List:
- Fill out all the papers on the bottom of this page.
- Transcripts: Get a copy of your transcript. You will need to contact the counseling office for questions on this. For teacher letters of rec, you do not need an official copy but for colleges you will. You can order official transcripts online via the ASB store.
- Resume: Print out and include your resume. There is a sample form below.
- Envelopes: You will put all the paperwork under the TEACHER section, your resume and copy of your transcript in the envelope you present the teacher writing your letter of recommendation. On the outside of this envelope you glue the included form with all the schools you are applying to along with their due dates. You MUST write the schools in descending date order - meaning the school with the earliest due date goes on top. This is usually the only envelope you will need. Counselors provided this to you when we went to the computer lab. If you lost it, you need to get a replacement envelope. Some of the schools you are applying to may not accept electronic letters of recommendation. If this is the case or if your teacher prefers to not use naviance, you must get letter sized envelopes that you address to the college and place a stamp on the envelopes and include them inside the larger envelope.
- If I have agreed to write for you, get it in early. I have new classes, essays to grade, lesson plans, etc. I will have to write your letter on my personal time and will need ample time to get it done. Most other teachers are in similar situations so this is a good rule across the board.
- BEFORE you turn in your paperwork, double check you have signed everything and filled everything out!
For TEACHER Letters of Recommendations
You will need to fill out the following information for EACH of the teachers writing your letters of recommendation. This means you need a complete packet (a large envelope with all the papers inside it and the form listing the colleges you are applying to glued to the outside). The forms are embedded below as well as included as a downloadable file.
AP students should have this done already but here is a template if you have to start all over.
For COUNSELOR Letter of Recommendations
The papers below need to be completed and organized in order to receive a letter of recommendation from your counselor. If you lost the original envelope you were given when we went to the computer lab, you will need to get an envelope to put these papers in and to attach the envelope cover letter to. The paper work is embedded below as well as included as a downloadable document.